Asia Cup 2022: India vs Afghanistan – Interesting statistical trivia | Cricket News – Times of India
This essentially means that the two ‘Super 4’ matches left — India vs Afghanistan in Dubai today and Sri Lanka vs Pakistan also in Dubai on Friday — are both dead rubbers.
The Sri Lanka vs Pakistan ‘Super 4’ match on Friday, in fact, will be a dress rehearsal for the big final on Sunday, September 11, in Dubai.
Afghanistan, of course, are playing back-to-back matches. They will be smarting from the very close loss to Pakistan on Wednesday as they take on Rohit Sharma and Co. tonight. For both the teams, there is only pride at stake now, with no chance of them reaching the final and the maximum points that they can get to being 2.
Sri Lanka and Pakistan have already secured 4 points each by winning both their Super 4 matches so far. One of these two teams will reach 6 points on Friday, but that too is only of academic interest, with the line-up for the final having already been decided.
Ahead of the India vs Afghanistan clash tonight, here are some interesting statistical trivia on the two teams:
1. The two Asia Cup matches contested between India and Afghanistan before this were in the 50-over format. India trounced Afghanistan by eight wickets at Mirpur on March 5, 2014. The second encounter (Super Four) played at Dubai (DSC) on September 25, 2018 produced a ‘tie’.
2. India have defeated Afghanistan in all the three Twenty20 Internationals played between these two teams so far – by 7 wickets at Gros Islet on May 1, 2010; by 23 runs at Colombo (RPS) on September 19, 2012 and by 66 runs at Abu Dhabi on November 3, 2021.
3. Shikhar Dhawan had scored 60 off 78 balls at Mirpur on March 5, 2014 and Lokesh Rahul had posted 60 off 66 balls at Dubai(DSC) on September 25, 2018. Both share the Indian record for the highest individual innings vs Afghanistan in the Asia Cup.
4. Mohammad Shahzad had recorded 124 off 116 balls at Dubai on September 25, 2018 – the highest individual innings for Afghanistan against India in the Asia Cup.
5. The said innings is also the only hundred for Afghanistan so far in the Asia Cup.
6. Mohammad Nabi had captured two wickets conceding 40 runs at Dubai on September 25, 2018 – the best bowling performance for Afghanistan against India in the Asia Cup.
7. Ravindra Jadeja’s brilliant performance of 4 for 30 at Mirpur on March 5, 2014, remains the best ever figures by an Indian bowler against Afghanistan in the Asia Cup – also the only four-wicket haul against them.
8. Ravichandran Ashwin’s economy rate of 4.25 while claiming four wickets in two matches at an average of 8.50 is the best among the bowlers in India-Afghanistan T20Is.
9. Javed Ahmadi and Mohammad Shahzad had put on 65 for the first wicket at Dubai on September 25, 2018 – the highest partnership for any wicket for Afghanistan against India in the Asia Cup.
10. Mahendra Singh Dhoni had effected four dismissals (all caught) at Gros Islet on May 1, 2010 – the best by a wicketkeeper in T20Is involving India and Afghanistan.
11. Shikhar Dhawan and Ajinkya Rahane had shared a first-wicket partnership of 121 at Mirpur on March 5, 2014 – India’s highest stand for any wicket vs Afghanistan in the Asia Cup.